The Eloquent Pieces Of Ethiopian New Year Celebration

Ethiopian New Year 1

Today while celebrating Enkutatash – Ethiopian New Year – I am being inspired by beautiful Ethiopian holiday rituals that I am blessed to be surrounded by and of course actuated to share it with the world through the following photo essay.

Enjoy my Enkutatash Celebration.

Embellishing households with Adey Ababa – yellow daises which blossom at this time of year in Ethiopia.

Young Ethiopian Boys giving out their Enkutatash Paintings.

Wishing a Happy New Year through colorful rituals.

Young Ethiopian girls going door to door singing Enkutatash Song for New Year.

Greeted by Gospel Singers from the Orthodox Church.

No Ethiopian holiday celebration would be complete without Ketema – the freshly cut green grass.

Pile of Injera – Ethiopian National Staple.

Freshly home baked bread – Difo Dabo.

Giving out pieces of bread to Enkutatash singing girls, gospel singers and painting boys.

Enjoying one of Ethiopian Traditional Holiday dishes – Doro Wot

Ethiopian New Year 12

Another Ethiopian Holiday Dish Tibs – Stir Fried Meat.

Local drinks to make the celebration complete.

Home brewed traditional beer – Tela.

Tej – home brewed honey mead – a toast to Enkutatash!

Relishing coffee through Ethiopian Traditional Coffee ceremony.

In honoring treasured Ethiopian regional holiday rituals.

This entry was posted in Addis Ababa, Culture and Tradition, Ethiopia, New Year, Photo Essay and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The Eloquent Pieces Of Ethiopian New Year Celebration

1. Desta says:

Wishing you a Happy Ethiopian New Year 2008. Thnks for sharing your experience. A fair and an accurate representation of facts.

2. It is very nice to read your blog Sara. By doing it, I can learn different things from your culture that, by the distance from my country to yours, it is out of the reach of local media. So thanks for letting us know here in South America how is the life there in Ethiopia. Happy Enkutatash, hope I am saying it right.

3. lorenwolf says:

Happy Enkutatash celebration. We need something more than getting drunk and watching a ball drop in this country. Our New Year celebrations are so out of touch with nature and a renewal of our lives. Thank you for sharing your blog.

4. May your new year be a grand one.

5. Buri-chan says:

I feel like I’ve learned so much from these photos–you can tell everyone is excited about Enkutatash! The coffee ceremony seems very interesting.

6. Violet says:

Happy New Year, and may this year be full of blessings for you! Beautiful photos as usual! xo

7. Tariku says:

Better later than never…wonderful images, beautiful Adey Abeba… Happy New Year, Sara!

8. Timkehet Teffera says:

Dear Sara, I am an Ethiopian ethnomusicologist (music anthropologist). My name is Timkehet. I am at the moment writing about the Ethiopian enkutatash more from musical point of view. For my introductory part however, I would like to insert some photos which you posted unter ‘The Eloquent Pieces Of Ethiopian New Year Celebration’. I would love to have the boy with the enkutatash paintings, the painting itself, the buna ceremony and the singing girls. It will be an honor for me to quote you under the pictures. I have for instance already downloaded a beautiful landscape where Adey Abeba can be seen. Really beautiful. So could you send me the other photos without your name on them. My e-mail is: timkehet.teffera@mdc-berlin.de
    best wishes, Timkehet Teffera