Walkabout: The Addis Ababa Holy Trinity Cathedral

Image

Ethiopian Orthodox Churches of the Addis Ababa city are possessor of several religious, traditional and historical heritages of Ethiopia- that are among the wonders of the world. These churches are Addis Ababa’s tourist attractions for historical, religious, art, culture and architecture travel in particular. The Addis Ababa Holy Trinity is one of it.Image

I think I should mention one thing before starting the walkabout to this magnificent church. It is the fact that we Ethiopians call this church “Selase” which, in Amharic simply means the Holy Trinity.Image

Now that we get brief idea about it, let us take a closer look at few of the sculptures, which make the church one of the landmarks of the city.ImageImageImageImage

Before stepping inside the church, let me share few more facts. The Holy Trinity Cathedral, originally, was a wooden church commissioned by Emperor Minilik II.  So are you ready to be mesmerized by the dazzling stained-glass windows and grand murals of the church? Well, a picture worth thousand words…so enjoy.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wait! There is more to admire… so here are few from the extraordinary stain glass windows.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Beautiful art is everywhere so let’s look up to the ceiling. Image

As the history of the church indicates, Emperor Hailesilasse used to worship here, so this is his graceful royal throne.Image

The Holy Trinity Cathedral is the celebrated final resting place of Emperor Haile Selassie and His wife Empress Menen Asfaw. The massive granite tombs, which sit inside the church, are one of the highlights.ImageImage

Well I dare to say that this is just a preview because; the church yard also hosts the graves of patriots who died fighting the Italian occupation and many more. I must say, this part of the church gives fascinating and at times emotive glance into the several historical chapters of Ethiopian History.Image

For more historical, religious, art and cultural insights of Ethiopia, The Holy Trinity Cathedral incorporates a Museum inside the compound of the church. A museum that preserves many historical replicas like very old books written on parchment, variety of crowns, chalices, crosses, thrones of Emperor Minilik II and Empress Taytu and many more.Image

Simply it is one of the Holy and Historical places of Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) worth to visit!

This entry was posted in Architecture, Art, Culture and Tradition, Historical Travel, Religious, Travel, Travel and Tourism, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Walkabout: The Addis Ababa Holy Trinity Cathedral

1. The Rider says:

A Beautiful cathedral! Thanks for sharing!

2. fozziemum says:

Sara what beautiful images and wonderful photos..you have shown proudly this church and it’s adornments…thankyou so much 🙂

3. What a stunning church, both inside and out! You do a wonderful job of showing off your city – your pride and passion for your home ooze through your blog 🙂

4. Tariku says:

Fantastic pictures, Sara! Never seen the images of the Cathedral so beautiful. Thanks, sister!

5. t.on.air says:

This is one of the churches that I didn’t visit when I was in Addis. Thanks for the photos!

6. toemailer says:

Beautiful art and architecture! 🙂

7. Beautiful! And I agree with waterfallsandcaribous..the love you have for your country and Addis Ababa really shines through:) I look forward to visiting this church. xoMelissa

8. Filip says:

You have a really interesting blog about a relatively unknown part of the world. I look forward to reading more about Addis Ababa and hopefully visit it some day.

9. Tyrone Haymore says:

I am director of the Robbins History Museum in Robbins, IL USA. I am trying
    To locate the exact grave site of Col.
    John C. Robinson known as The Brown
    Condor og Ethiopia. Robinson is a famous African-Amer. Aviator who left
    America in 1934 to go to Ethiopia to help
    Train Ethiopians to fly and build Airplanes to help fight the war against Italy. Col. Robinson is buried in the Gulele cemetery in Addis Ababa we just do not know his exact grave location. Can you help us find his grave ?

10. yabsra says:

thank you for everything I am tour guide student you help me for my project

11. chris says:

Sarah you are a great person.I have checked your many posts and have received a lot of information. The Ethipian and Eritrean Orthodox Churchs are absolutely wonderful!
    i’m Russian Orthodox and hoppfully i will travel to Addis Abba in the Charismas Holly Day. I just wondering how many per cent of Addis Abba people are Orthodox or Christian?
    Thank you very much! Sara.

• Sara Genene says:

Thank you so much for your kind words. To answer your question, according to the national census conducted in 2007, over 32 million people or 43.5% were reported to be Ethiopian Orthodox Christians. I do really hope it helps. God Bless!