Contemporary Ethiopian Traditional Clothing Design Studios

Image

As being the hub for the diverse cultures and traditions of Ethiopia, shopping in the Addis Ababa city is becoming the most astonishing experience than ever before.

Image

ImageImage

Besides, playing a big role in making a revolution in Ethiopian fashion industry, these clothing design studios is an interesting add up in the shopping scene of Addis Ababa and bringing more enjoyable flare to it.

ImageImage

The unique feature of Ethiopian traditional cloth “Yehager Lebis” is, the very fact that it is made of the luxury 100% cotton or silk mix hand woven fabrics in various patterns and colors usually includes the the famous signature of embroidery Ethiopian cross image.

ImageImage

The original yehager libes which is made in “Kemis”- women’s dress with full skirt and “Natala”- one layer shawl with matching “Tibeb”- colored border to Kemis and Netela is the kind of occasional dress.  But now thanks to these little contemporary traditional clothing design studios which are making “yehager Libes” wearable for every occasion.

ImageImage

Most of the designers are making fashionable dresses and tops honoring traditional techniques and one can witness resourcefulness, imagination, and originality.  Since these clothes are hand–made and custom made that means no mass production which makes it more interesting because even for window shopping almost every week you see new designs so I love to capture these moments as much as possible and share it with the world.

Image

According to studies, the color that its meaning tend to evoke  like attention-grabbing, liveliness, optimism, intellect, happiness and energy… of course, Yellow is in season now in Addis Ababa and love it!

ImageImageImageImage

Peace!

This entry was posted in Travel, Travel and Tourism, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Contemporary Ethiopian Traditional Clothing Design Studios

1. Really loving the fashion scene there. Looks fun!

2. Interesting fashion and very cultural at the same time – lovely!

3. Hi Sarah, thanks for liking my post on mother’s day. The dresses look great!

4. Beautiful,colourful designs. Thankyou for sharing them.

5. linda says:

Hi-I found your blog while researching Ethiopian textiles.Recently, I’ve become interested in traditional Ethiopian clothing ,especially netela and gabi.It was wonderful to see this post.

• Sara P.G. says:

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for your nice comment. About you being interested in Ethiopian traditional clothing is nice and I would say “smart choice”.

6. Theresa says:

Thank you for always giving me such a fascinating window into your world…

7. Hello Sara ,l am glad to see that Ethiopia achieving such progress .Beautiful fashion post.My warm regard ( thank you for liking my post My petite love.Jalal

8. karma2000 says:

Wow! I wish I could online shop for these lovely dresses! 😀 It would be perfect wear for the hot Indian weather too. I like the yellows and blues – beautiful. Good work Sara – I always learn something new!

9. Reblogged this on Ace Worldwide Goods & Services News and commented:
    #AceWorldwideGoods says ” Ethiopian Designs of Traditional Clothing ”
    Addis Ababa is now showcasing the elegant, unique and timeless Ethiopian traditional cloth “Yehager Libes” with a modern twist through small contemporary traditional clothing design studios that are opened up in every part of the city. #AceiShop

10. lorenwolf says:

Thank you Sara for the wonderful images of Ethiopian clothing and textile designs. I will definitely keep in touch with your blog and thank you for viewing my post about the orphan fawn, Scruf,f at the PsiKeep Center for the Arts.

11. Bar Honour Umar says:

My dearest you are amazing. i love africa and am proud to be an african. we are so unique in everything we do especially in our dress sense. Am considering visiting ethopia for the first time, please how can i chat with you personally to find out certain things before my trip?

12. I love it! Wish I had some of that clothing:)!

13. Nice article on Ethiopian tradtional dresses

14. It’s refreshing to see what today’s look is in fashion/dress in different cultures. Thanx for sharing and for visiting my blog. Peace.

15. Mereyam says:

Hey Sara ,
    I’m also from Ethiopia . I love how you are showing Ehiopia (addis) from different aspect as well as seeing the traditional clothe in different style …:D

Good Luck !

16. Hello Sara, thanks for liking my post on ” Minimalism in Iconic Buildings” . I love your blog post on traditional Ethiopian clothes lines. Keep visiting my blog to read more. :).

17. My brothdr suggested I would possibly like this website.
    He was tootally right. This publish actually made my day.

You cann’t believe simply hhow so much time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks!